Our Care Goals
- Keep patients from unnecessary hospital visits – all too often we see patients nearing the end of their lives unnecessarily traveling to and from the hospital, often via traumatizing ambulance rides. These visits are incredibly disrupting for patients, their caregivers and families and frequently result in negative physical outcomes. Instead, our team of clinicians allows patients to be cared for wherever they call home – providing the comfort and pain management needed to weather any physical disruptions.
- Engage in frank conversations – Like advance directives, we are firm believers in asking the right questions and knowing how to best achieve the goals. Dr. Angelo Volandes’s “The Conversation” summarizes some of the questions to discuss:
- What gives your life meaning and joy?
- What are your biggest fears and concerns?
- What are you looking forward to?
- What goals are most important to you now?
- What trade-offs or sacrifices are you willing to make to achieve those goals?
Who is eligible for Get Well at Home Services?
You are eligible for GWAH's services if you have a life-limiting illness and have chosen care that focuses on symptom management rather than curative treatment.
Diagnosis commonly associated with our services include:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Cardiovascular disease
- Liver/Renal disease
- Neurological disease
- Respiratory disease
- Stroke or Coma
- Other life-limiting illnesses
Individuals eligible for Altus’s services may experience some or all of the following:
- Frequent hospitalizations
- Deteriorating mental abilities
- Recurrent infections
- Decreased ability to perform Activities of Daily Living (ADLs)
- Other specific decline in condition
Can anyone Get Hospice Care?
Can I stop service If I Want to?
- Yes. Sometimes a patient’s health improves or their illness goes into remission. Your physician or our Medical Director may feel that you no longer qualify for our care. Also, as an Altus patient, you may choose to stop receiving care for any reason. If you stop your care, you will receive the type of insurance coverage that you had before electing GWAH’s care, such as the Original Medicare or Medicaid Plan or a Medicare+Choice Plan. If you are eligible, you can return, electing to receive care from Altus at any time.
“Suffering can precipitate creativity, liberating the creator through inspiration and then many available channels of human communication, and therefore there is value in suffering.”
― Brent Green, Questions of the Spirit: The Quest for Understanding at a Time of Loss